WHy Our Acai?
Our acai comes straight from the Amazon rainforest to Chapel Hill.
The Amazon rainforest is being deforested at an alarming rate. The reason is simple economics, the indigenous people of the Amazon need to make a living wage. Selling lumber has been one of the most profitable businesses for the people of the Amazon, with the destruction of the rainforest being the sad externality. The rise of acai in the western world is actually helping preserve the Brazilian Amazon by providing a more financially rewarding use of the rainforest than deforestation. Every bowl you eat helps the acai industry grow in the Brazilian Amazon and compete against the lumber industry.
We buy all of our acai from "fairly traded and sustainable" suppliers - meaning they pay a fair living wage to the people of the Amazon that harvest the acai berry. In addition, our acai suppliers help with education and training to make sure the acai is organic and that all harvesting is done in a way that does no harm to the acai palm tree. We could not be prouder to partner with the people at Makai Fruits in this journey.
No sugar added
The health benefits of acai have been recognized by the people of the Amazon for centuries. As workers would eat a large bowl of acai berries at sunrise and feel sufficiently fueled until sunset. Additionally, the Amazonian tribes found that this purple berry helped build the immune system, fight infection, protect the heart, and even help libido.
Acai was not introduced to the western world until the 1990s and has rapidly grown in popularity in recent years for its taste and health benefits. In the western world, the acai berry has been deemed a SuperFood, justified by a number of unique characteristics:
- Antioxidant properties: açai has a remarkable concentration of antioxidants. In fact, research conducted by Brunswick Laboratories found açai to contain an antioxidant capacity that is superior to all other commonly consumed fruits (more than double that of a blueberry)
- Concentration of omega-6 and omega-9 essential fatty acids: these critical nutrients are rare in most fruits, but are extremely concentrated in acai, with level's comparable to olive oil! Diet's rich in these fatty acids are linked with lower heart disease, increased longevity and lower risk of some cancers. Both essential oils work to make the cell membranes more supple, which means the body’s internal hormones and receptors of insulin work more efficiently to reduce inflammation, which in turn reduces signs of aging
- Controlled energy release: while carbohydrates deliver energy to our bodies as fast-releasing energy that leaves energy levels prone to peaks and crashes, acai provides a slow-release of energy after consumption. The slow releasing energy from açai makes it an ideal food for endurance sports where stamina and energy are important. During intense exercise the increased oxygen consumption heightens oxidant production (free radicals) which may be felt as muscle ache. Enjoying rich antioxidant foods like açai after strenuous exercise helps the body to recuperate quicker.In addition, açai helps speed recovery after exercise with powerful anti-inflammatory phyto-nutrients, and replenishes the body with valuable electrolytes
- Protein Building-Blocks: Fruit is an unlikely source of protein but acai berries contain a generous amount of amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein. The amino acid content found within acai berries is almost the equivalent of an egg, which is critical to assist in muscle building and repairing
- Weight Loss Support: acai leaves a content feeling immediately after finishing a bowl, but not a "stuffed" feeling; however, due to the slow energy release from acai this content feeling sustains itself for hours after finishing the bowl. You won't be starving again 2 hours after finishing our bowls like you might be after a sandwich. Furthermore, acai berries are a rich source of vitamins, namely vitamin B and K, which help the body to metabolize carbohydrates, proteins and fats more efficiently thus providing weight loss assistance